Western movie forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a general forum about western movies. All topics about western films are welcome. Forbidden stuff: Politics, religion and other sensitive stuff, spam, trolling. Please be nice to other people here.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wbvogel
Kitosch
Kitosch
wbvogel

Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns Empty
PostSubject: Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns   Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 am

First post to this forum as a new member...

I have been looking for the name of a move I saw as a kid during the 60's. The pastor of a town was a former gunfighter but the town didn't know that. At some point in the movie (to protect the town, I think) he goes into the back of the church, opens a trunk, and gets out his guns. He straps them on and goes out to face the bad guys to protect the town.

Anybody remember that movie?

Before you suggest it, it is not Heaven with a Gun. :-)
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Knife Thrower
Knife Thrower
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns   Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Howdy Wbvogel!!

Pard, the film you're referring to is either a spaghetti western with Lee Van Cleef titled God's Gun or another ole 1970's film titled The Gun And The Pulpit with Marjoe Gortner. In the first, Lee Van Cleef plays dual roles as twin brothers. One is a priest, who is killed and this brings his gunfighter brother for revenge. The other is about a gunslinger, who finds the dead body of a preacher with a letter inviting him to become the pastor in some western town and co-stars Slim Pickins.

Ed
Back to top Go down
wbvogel
Kitosch
Kitosch
wbvogel

PostSubject: Re: Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns   Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks Ed!

I lost track of this western forum and didn't notice that you had replied. Unfortunately, the two movies you mentioned came along much too late: God's Gun (1975) and The Gun and the Pulpit (1974). I was born in 1955 and saw the movie I am looking for as a kid. I have already ruled out Heaven with a Gun (1969) and The Peacemaker (1956).

There was another scene I remember from the movie that may help. The pastor never wore a gun but during the town fair the townsfolk talked him into participating in some kind of shooting competition. His old instincts took over and he won the competition. Unfortunately, a stranger passing through town saw him shoot and recognized from his former life.

Ring any bells?

Thanks again,

Brant
Back to top Go down
Chain Lightning
Knife Thrower
Knife Thrower
Chain Lightning

PostSubject: Re: Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns   Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns EmptySat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 am

Howdy Pard!!

The only other film that comes to mind is an old 1950's film titled The Fastest Gun In The West. Starring Glenn Ford, Jean Peters and Broderick Crawford with John Dehner and Leif Erickson as co-stars. But it's not about a Pastor, but a storekeeper, who is the son of a former lawman and wants everyone to know it, but his wife tries to keep it a secret. The talk finally gets out in the town he's living in and a gunfighter(Broderick Crawford), who thinks he's the fastest challenges him to a gunfight.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns   Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns Empty

Back to top Go down

Pastor was former gunfighter who hung up his guns
Page 1 of 1